LIST OF PICTURE BOOKS USED IN THE Carolyn Dee Flores SWTX-SCBWI 2012 ILLUSTRATION WORKSHOP
For those of you who attended my workshop at the SWTX-SCBWI Conference 2012 on Basics of Picture Book Illustration - several people have asked me for a list of the picture books we used in class.
So here is the list:
Super Cool List of 14 Picture Books You Should Absolutely Keep In Your Studio
- The Lion & The Mouse … Jerry Pinkney … (The Picture Book as an Art Form)
- I, Too, Am America … Langston Hughes, Illustrated By Bryan Collier (Interpreting Text)
- Rapunzel … Paul O. Zelinsky … (Painterly-ness)
- The Little Matador … Julian Hector … (Design, Abstract Thumbnails)
- Me, Frida … Amy Novesky, Illustrated By David Diaz … (Importance of Cover, Palette)
- The Secret World of Walter Andersen …Hester Bass, Illustrated by E.B. Lewis … (Importance of Cover, Palette)
- The Day-Glo Brothers … Chris Barton, Illustrated By Tony Persiani … (Illustrator's Vision)
- Oh No! (Or How My Science Project Destroyed The World) … Mac Barnett, Dan Santat … (Illustrator's Vision)
- Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus … Mo Willems … (Pacing - Spots, Single Page Illustrations, Spreads)
- Balloons Over Broadway … Melissa Sweet … ( Style, Fun, Accessibility, Play)
- Go, Dog. Go! … P.D. Eastman … (Simplicity, Humor, Hitting It Out of the Ballpark)
- I Want My Hat Back … Jon Klassen … (Doing What Is Right For The Book, Pure Guts)
- Make Way For Ducklings … Robert McCloskey … ( Passion, Research, Tenacity)
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret … Brian Selznick … (Breaking the Rules)
Of course, there are many more incredible picture books … but these are the ones I used in the class on that day.
Carolyn Dee Flores
Stay Incredibly Inspired!